It’s amazing how many people involved in sales and marketing do not take the time to master the art of good content writing. The basics are so simple and can make a difference to the turnover of any business. As a professional copywriter, I find the following tips invaluable:
- Killer headlines. Headlines are important. The majority of readers will look at a headline and then decide whether to carry on, so it’s vital to grab their attention. There are various ways of doing this: either by helping with a problem, answering a question etc. The headline is a way of telling someone they need to continue reading.
- Keep it simple. Where powerful copy is concerned, less is more. Good content gives the reader all the information they need using minimal words.
- Use keywords. To maximise the power of any online copy, you need to integrate keywords throughout. Especially in the title, so the copy can easily be found on search engines.
- Keep a swipe file. Swipe files are lists of sales content which have produced results. Take the information and adapt it to your own writing needs. A swipe file can be a fantastic source of inspiration for any copywriter or blogger.
- Stand out. Highlight one particular product/service. Focus on why you are different or what you can do better than your competitor. What is your USP? Is it your service, reliability? What can you offer that no-one else can?
- Focus on benefits. Sell the benefits, not the features. Potential clients are not interested in the features of your product/services unless it benefits them. Explain how you can increase production, save time/money, solve a problem etc.
- Define your target market. It is extremely important to define your marketplace. In particular, small businesses can’t afford to target everyone so concentrate on the people most likely to buy your product/service. Write for the correct audience and suit your style accordingly.
- Create a strong call to action. Give potential clients a reason to call immediately by presenting an incentive, a special offer, something free and a time frame in which they will receive that bonus.
If you follow these suggestions, I guarantee you will see results. Not everyone has the time or inclination to write copy so if you prefer to talk to a professional, UKContentWriter can help.
© Donna Hepburn 2016